I cannot believe my baby is 11 months as of yesterday! Only one more month until he’s a YEAR old!
Time has been flying by for the last few months. It’s definitely a combination of J getting older and the holiday season being upon us. Every year, after Labor Day, the year seems to just disappear — and that goes double when you’ve got a baby in the house. I’m trying to savor every moment!
J’s been really working hard on cruising this month. He’s cruising in laps around the coffee table, beds, sofas… anything that he can pull up on. He’s also started saying “mama”! It sometimes sounds more like “ma” or “mom,” but I’m pretty certain that he’s saying it to or about me.
J had a pretty rough month with his first trip to the ER, followed by a nasty cold, not to mention the onset of separation anxiety. His sleep patterns, as a result, are pretty inconsistent. I’ve started having to nurse him in the middle of the night again. I’m hoping this phase ends soon so we can go back to 12-hour nights! Luckily, his daytime naps have stayed regular — two long (1-2 hour) naps during the day.
Side note: I’ve noticed over the last week that my milk supply seems to be down, which really worried me, especially since I’ve been having to feed him at night, so the demand is definitely there… but then it occurred to me that his appetite dropped while he was sick, so maybe my milk supply just hasn’t recovered yet. I’m really hoping it comes back soon — I’m not ready to wean yet! I’m so proud of myself for breastfeeding for this long, and I’m almost to my goal of one year! After that, we’ll see… I’ll be following J’s cues (definitely not cutting him off immediately). I’m simultaneously excited and scared about the weaning process… but that’s a whole other post.
That said, he’s been doing really well with solid foods. We try to do 2 or 3 meals a day. Sometimes it’s cheerios or puffs with purees, and sometimes it’s bits of food from my plate. He’s tried grits, potatoes, tortilla, fruit, turkey, dressing… And today he started using his pincer grip to pick up food very cleanly with just the tips of his thumb and forefinger!
J and I had a couple of playdates this weekend, and it was a lot of fun to see him interacting with other babies. Or not interacting, actually. J is definitely an observer — he’d rather play with his own little toy and watch the other kids from a distance. It’s so fascinating to see all the babies’ different personalities, and super fun to see him blossom into his own little person. He’s very quiet around new people — no talking or straying far from me. But at the same time, I’ve also noticed that when random ladies make faces at him in crowds or restaurants, he locks on and smiles and hams it up, and he’s usually willing to let people hold him with no problem. We went to meet Santa last week, and he just sat contentedly (albeit a little confused) the whole time. He’s definitely a laid back little dude.
J’s stats at 11 months:
- Next doctor’s appointment: January 3 (for his 1 year!)
- Teeth: still just 6 (4 on top, 2 on bottom)
- Favorite foods: turkey and dressing with cranberry sauce (from Thanksgiving)
- Breastfeeding: 4-6 times a day (sometimes once in the middle of the night)
- Clothing size: 12 months
- Sleeping: 7 p.m. bedtime and 8 a.m. wake-up, with a 3 hour break in the middle of the night; two 1-2 hour naps during the day
- Sounds: ma, ba, ga, na, aaah, laughs, raspberries, rolling his tongue
- Favorite toys: stacking toy, blocks, walking around the jumper (not sitting in it)
- Likes: Cruising around furniture, eating in his high chair or at restaurants, people-watching, peek-a-boo, itsy-bitsy-spider, patticake, pacifier
- Dislikes: Being cold or hot, being left alone in the middle of the night