Making Art During Naptime

I’m not much of a crafter, but I try. I often find cool ideas on Pinterest and think, “Hey, that looks easy.” Several hours later, I find that I’ve spent way too much money, with nothing worthwhile to show for it.

I’ve been thinking for a while that I’d like to try some crayon art. I’ve seen several of them on Pinterest, and when I saw this one, I decided I’d go for it. Add to the fact that we desperately needed an artpiece above the fireplace, and I am far too cheap to buy a genuine painting.

So today I went for it. I bought a 2’x3′ canvas (40% off) and a huge box of crayons (also 40% off), bringing my total to $22.98 for this project (before tax). I figured even if it didn’t work out, I wasn’t out too much money.

This project was so much fun that D joined me. He is not a crafter or a visual artist… so this was kind of a big deal. Proof that it really is fun and easy. I think this might be a fun project for older kids or teenagers — as long as they’re old enough to hold the crayons in such a way that they don’t get burned by the melted wax.

We spread an old sheet on the floor and placed the canvas on top, then got to work. We took turns choosing a crayon color and using the hair dryer (set to high) to melt the wax and spread it around the canvas. We had so much fun experimenting, and since we were just making abstract art, there was really no way to “mess up.” Try holding the crayon at different distances from the canvas, and the blow dryer at different distances from the crayon.

crayon art detail

crayon art detail

Our big 2’x3′ canvas ended up being filled with tentacle-y blotches of color. We like it a lot — it’s bright and happy, and we like the use of white space. And I love that we both worked on it.

Crayon art on the mantle above the fireplace

Tonight, I decided to try again using a canvas from a previous (failed) craft. It turned out very different, but I like it, too! I learned how to meld the colors together and splatter colors on top (it’s all about distances). The splatters really add some cool texture.

crayon art

These look like paintings to me — but they were super quick to dry (err.. harden), and while I did end up with wax everywhere… it’s easier to clean up than paint.

All in all, I was very happy with this project. It was cheap, fun, and we completed each piece within J’s naptime — score! I’m all about quick crafts these days.

Anyway, I wanted to share my new art pieces. These were great fun — if you’ve made crayon art in the past or if you try in the future, please post a link in the comments! I’d love to see what you created.

You Might Also Like

8 comments for “Making Art During Naptime

1. D's mom
    September 9, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Nice!

2. Cara
    August 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm

How did you make the splatters? They’re so amazing! You said distance, but I guess I’m not sure what you mean exactly by that.

• Sesame
      August 8, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Hi, Cara! Thanks for visiting and for your comment! To get the different looks (including splatters), I experimented a lot with different distances and angles. That is, the distance between canvas/crayon/blow dryer (very close — even ON the canvas — vs. over a foot between each vs. other combinations, like blow dryer close to crayon but far from the canvas, etc.), and the angles of the crayons in relation to the canvas (straight up and down and touching the canvas, at a 45ยบ angle and 6 inches above the canvas, parallel to the canvas but held a foot away, etc.). Different combinations of the canvas/crayon/blow dryer distances and angles yielded different results, but it’s not really an exact science. If I remember correctly, I made the splatters by letting the crayon get all melty on the end (without blowing it away yet), and then I held the crayon farther away from the canvas — over a foot, I’d say — and used the blow dryer to make the melty end wax splatter. But really, the most fun thing about this project (to me, anyway) is seeing all the different ways you can manipulate the wax — and that experimentation is not only fun but also makes every piece totally different and unpredictable! (Fair warning: It can be a mess, so prepare!) Post a pic if you end up doing this yourself! I’d love to see some reader creations.

3. Melissa
    July 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Hi!!! I’m a 16 year old girl who has gotten into melting crayons recently as an art project and have done 4 pieces that all turned out cool and my family loved them. I would love to try and duplicate your “galaxy” piece of art work and was wondering if you could give me some tips in how to get the best effects to create the galaxy look. Thanks so much!!!!!

• Sesame
      July 18, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Hi, Melissa! I’m so glad you’re enjoying crayon art — I’d love to see what you’ve come up with if it’s posted somewhere!

It’s been a while since I did any of this, but I did a lot of experimenting with holding the crayons and hair dryer really close to the canvas, or the crayons close and the hair dryer far away, or putting a lot of distance between all three.

For the ‘galaxy’ one, I melted big blobs of crayon all over the canvas, then after the wax was already melted onto the canvas, I used the hair dryer to meld the colors even more together. Since the wax will remelt every time you take heat to it, it’s easy to keep manipulating it even after you’ve stopped using the crayon itself. (You have to be careful about color placement and not to melt them into each other too much since they could end up looking muddy.)

On top of that background, I splattered some additional colors by holding the crayon farther away, with the point of the crayon toward the canvas. Then I used the hair dryer to melt the crayon wax until it started “rocketing” off of the point of the crayon and onto the canvas (if that makes sense). Be forewarned that this can get messy!

Good luck!

4. adele
    January 19, 2017 at 3:22 pm

did you paint the background or is this entirely crayons?